Why run The Marriage Preparation Course?
The Marriage Preparation Course is an easy-to-run, practical five-session course for couples who are engaged or exploring the idea of marriage. No expertise is needed to run the course.
You may have experience of working on your own marriage or you are passionate to see marriages and family life strengthened in your community.
An individual can host a course using the DVDs, though we recommend having a married couple on hand to offer support.
Key features of The Marriage Preparation Course:
- Easy-to-use DVD
- Leader's guide with instructions for when to pause DVD for exercises and discussion times
- Effective whether held in a home or larger venue
- Practical material presented in a fun and interesting way
- Welcoming and accessible content for any couple
How to run The Marriage Preparation Course
1. LEARN HOW by watching our training videos
We have a few short videos here to help you get started.
We recommend you first watch "Our Story" and then "Learn How" which will give you top tips on the key elements of running The Marriage Preparation Course.
2. PURCHASE the course materials
You need The Marriage Preparation Course DVD with Leaders’ Guide and two guest manuals per couple.
You can purchase these at the Alpha Canada Bookstore.
3. PLAN your course
- Find a venue
- Ask people to help you run the course
- Decide what/if to charge guests
- Budget for food and/or drinks and promotion
5. FIND support in advance
Find a counsellor in your area to whom you can refer couples if they need professional help.
Who should I invite?
The Marriage Preparation Course is for any couple who wants to give their marriage the best possible start or who are exploring the idea of getting married.
Think about inviting:
- Friends, family, neighbours and work colleagues of members of the congregation
- Current and previous wedding and baptism candidates
- Community groups such as gym classes or mother & toddler groups
- If your church is running Alpha and/or The Parenting Courses, invite current and past guests
How do I invite guests?
The most effective way to encourage guests to come on your course is to personally invite them.
Promotional materials such as postcard invitations and banners are easy to use and generate interest from those outside your personal network.
How to reach couples in your community:
- Give out invites and encourage everyone to invite one couple
- Place posters and postcards in strategic locations such as coffee shops, gyms and libraries, etc
- Advertise the event on your church website and social media
- Make sure the date, time, venue and contact information are clear on your communication
- Make a final push the week before your course as many decide to book on at the last minute