Why run The Parenting Courses?
The Parenting Children Course and The Parenting Teenagers Course are an easy-to-run, practical five-session courses designed to support parents or carers who want to invest in their relationships with their children and/or teenagers. No expertise is needed to run the course. Anyone who wants to support and encourage parents and other carers and who enjoys hosting a group can run the courses.
Key features of The Parenting Children Course and The Parenting Teenagers Course:
- Easy-to-use DVD
- Leader's guide with instructions for when to pause DVD for exercises and discussion times
- Effective whether held in a home or larger venue
- Practical material presented in a fun and interesting way
- Welcoming and accessible to anyone
How to run The Parenting Courses
1. PURCHASE the course materials
You need The Parenting Children Course DVD or The Parenting Teenagers Course DVD along with a Leader's Guide and one guest manual per person.
2. PLAN your course
- Find a venue
- Ask people to help you run the course
- Decide what/if to charge guests to cover costs
- Budget for food and/or drinks and promotion
- Use the Leader's Resources for support to run your course (you can get this after Registering Your Course).
- Determine whether you are going to run a morning or evening course. A mid-morning course after the school run may be more suitable for stay at home parents.
- Each of the five weekly sessions lasts two-and-a-half hours. This includes time for something to eat and/or drink, the talks and the small group discussions. Alternatively, the course can be run over ten weeks with shorter sessions lasting one-and-a-half hours.
5. FIND SUPPORT in advance
Do a little information gathering ahead of time to find a counsellor in your area to whom you will you feel comfortable referring parents or carers to if they need specific professional help.
How do I Invite Guests?
The most effective way to encourage guests to come on your course is to personally invite them.
Promotional materials such as postcard invitations and banners can help and are easy to use - they can help generate interest and spread the word about your course to those outside your personal network.
How to reach parents and carers in your community:
- Promote your course from the front of church with a fun video or by sharing feedback from previous guests
- Give out invites and encourage everyone to invite a friend
- Place posters and postcards in strategic locations such as coffee shops, gyms, medical clinics and libraries, etc.
- Advertise the event on your church website and social media.
- Make sure the date, time, venue and contact information are clear on your communication.
- Give the course a final push the week before it starts, as many people decide to book on at the last minute.